Friday, February 24, 2012

How to make a gal feel special

I guess it’s because I write about romance, or maybe it’s not that complicated and simply because I’m a “mom figure”… I was recently asked by a young man how he could get a certain young lady’s attention (young adults, not teens)


I thought for a few minutes, I remembered the way my dad treated my mom, the way my husband treats me and then, lol, I thought about the ways my novel heroes treat the heroines. Not surprisingly my heroes tend to emulate a lot of the romantic gestures of good and great relationships I’ve been privileged to witness.


I told him not to be pushy. If she isn’t ready for a serious relationship it might scare her off. I did tell him to make sure that he knew her, really knew her, but to be subtle about it. Acknowledge who she is and encourage her personal identity. He has to share his likes and dislikes, but he shouldn’t expect her to always agree. I said just be a constant and let her know she is appreciated.


In my novel Within the Law, Tom notices the glass miniature figurine collection in Allie’s apartment. Later in the story when he wants to get her flowers, he gives her crystal roses and other flowers. She’s touched that he remembered this about her even though they never discussed it.


In A Chaunce of Riches, even though it’s been years since they were together, Ben surprises Samantha when he remembers her favorite drink and prepares it for her after an extra long day at work. Even though she moved on without him, he still lets her know he admires where she’s gotten to educationally and in business.


It’s just touches here and there, little things a guy does to make a woman feel special, one of a kind, and important. Like all the times my dad introduced my mom as his queen… And like all the times my husband brags about his romance author wife even though he is not a fan of romance novels himself.


Make a woman feel special, that’s how you get her attention.


No comments: