Saturday, December 6, 2014

He's very insistent ~ Weekend Writing Warriors / #8sunday / 12/07/14

Hi! Welcome to another Weekend Writing Warrior round. Every week writers post 8 sentences on their blogs from a published or unpublished book. Then we "hop" around and leave comments on each other's snippets. Whether our work is already published or in progress, the helpful comments help us become stronger writers on our next WIP. We welcome EVERYONE's comments.

See more at the
WeWriWa blog

I'm continuing with snippets from The Meeting, a part of The Many Faces of Chelle Cordero, a short-story collection which exemplifies (I hope) the diversity of my writing.

The story begins at a Charleston SC train station in 1942. America, still reeling from the Pearl Harbor attack, entered the war and soldiers in uniform were going off to Europe and the Pacific to fight. Life continued on the home-front.

Last week the young MP steps onto the platform and is instantly attracted to the young woman seeing her friend off. His scrutiny causes her some discomfort but her genteel southern upbringing keeps her polite, besides she promised to see her friend off and is waiting for her to wave from the window. He's persistent and much more forward than the local southern boys.


“Imagine how I felt when I stepped onto the platform and saw this gorgeous woman standing there.”
He was definitely making her feel uneasy, she wished she had one of her little brothers with her.
“I‘d love to have a name to go with the dreams I‘m going to have of you tonight.”
Her momma taught her manners and her poppa taught her to stand up for herself. Jeannette mustered her courage and finally looked the handsome soldier in the eyes, “Sir, I find your manners appalling, I would greatly appreciate it if you would kindly leave me be.”
 “So you aren‘t going to tell me your name?

“No sir, I am not.” 

 For more WeWriWa snippets, go to www.wewriwa.com


The Meeting
From a random meeting in the south during WW2 to a
marriage and love that lasts for an eternity.

 AUDIO 

PRINT 

Kindle 

 AllRomance Ebooks 

 iBooks 

 Smashwords 

The Many Faces of Chelle Cordero is a single author collection of short stories featuring Introduction, Pussycat Tails, Holiday Happiness, Not Alone, I Swear That Raccoon Just Knocked on the Door, Stormy Weather, A Mother’s Love, More Than a Friend, The Meeting, The Vacation and a special bonus section.


My son's wedding is next Saturday and there are a lot of last minute things to do this week, I'll try to get to comments and all as early as I can.

This story is based on the tales both of my parents told me as I was growing up about their first meeting - this story is a fictionalized version of their romance; my uncle told me a slightly different story. Whatever the truth was, and all versions mentioned my dad's northern "roughness" and my mom's southern manners, I am very glad my dad was so persistent!


9 comments:

Charmaine Gordon said...

Charming old school dialogue that warms the heart and a happy ending.
What more can a reader ask for? You've got it all in eight. Thanks, Chelle, mother of the groom next week.
Happiest wishes to the young couple for a long and healthy life together.

Unknown said...

I like her spunk. Cute. And have a blast at the wedding.

Teresa Cypher said...

Great snippet, Chelle! And I love that it was inspired by your parents' romance.

Enjoy the wedding!

Anonymous said...

I read the snippet before the background explanation, but I picked up immediately on the Southern Belle atmosphere. I could almost picture the nameless miss in a hoop skirt!

Veronica Scott said...

I'm glad she's standing up for herself! Another excellent excerpt...best wishes on the wedding!!!

Anonymous said...

I guess he should've chosen a better way to approach her. I don't blame her for turning him down. Great southern dialect in her voice. Well done!

Meka James said...

She remembered both her lessons well. She politely told him off. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, love how she put him in his place by being so very polite;). Great job.

HauteTonReaderSociety said...

I love the dialogue. You can always tell so much about the characters with just the smallest amount of dialogue: manners, upbringing, sometimes even accent.

Great eight, I can't wait to read more!