Sunday, June 9, 2013

A revival (& a short story)

Sometime in the 1980's I wrote a manuscript I called More Than a Friend - it was about a female NYC police officer, the (gender) prejudice she encountered on the job and two men, the one she married and the one who loved her. It had suspense, mystery, passion and, of course, a happy ever after.

I made the rounds of big-name print publishers and and a few agents; while I received some compliments, some constructive criticism, and many form letter rejections, no one wanted to take a risk on a relatively new writer. Although I had started writing professionally, it was mostly as a stringer for a local weekly paper.

The manuscript was put away in a drawer. A few years later my sister and I attacked it with a fresh re-write. Long story short, it went back in a drawer again. I never thought to send it to small press or e-publishers.

As any writer knows, our characters are our pseudo children and we yearn to bring them to life. Unfortunately Jerry and Janis, my main characters in More Than a Friend, had resided silently in drawer space for decades.

BUT I FINALLY DID IT!

Thanks to Vanilla Heart Publishing and managing editor Kimberlee Williams, Jerry and Janis are alive and well and living in a short story called More Than a Friend in The Many Faces of Chelle Cordero: Short Story Collection, Vol 1

I am so excited to see my characters given a chance at life.

from the intro:

As a youngster I was always fascinated by Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Not Taken” and the concept that every decision we make can have life altering effects.
“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
I have never regretted the roads I chose to lead me to where my life is now, but I certainly had no idea when I was a teen of the things I would get to see and do in my lifetime...


The Many Faces of Chelle Cordero Short Story Collection Volume 1

including:
Nine short stories and a special bonus section, featuring:
Introduction
Pussycat Tails
Holiday Happiness
Not Alone
I Swear That Raccoon Just Knocked on the Door
Stormy Weather
A Mother’s Love
More Than a Friend
The Meeting
The Vacation


Available on Smashwords http://bit.ly/13sN86Q
and on Amazon Kindle :http://amzn.to/13sMXZt



No comments: