Monday, July 18, 2016

Do Overs ~ #MondayBlogs


How often have we all thought if we could only do something over would we have done things differently? I am thrilled with the life I have and I know that the things I did and decided have led me to where I am today. Once in a while though I do wonder what if… what if I hadn’t gone to the college I did, what if I had gotten a job with the NYPD, what if I had continued pursuing a theatrical career. When a movie gets remade, we still have the option of watching the original version again —

Ghostbusters 1986-style is a part of my (younger) life and it was funny and I enjoyed it. I laughed at the lines and facial expressions made by Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, Annie Potts, and Ernie Hudson. I don’t know if I want to see someone else fighting the ghostly invasion of NYC. Will the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man make an appearance again?

But I am sort of interested in the new release, I really like the actresses now playing the parts, Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, and Kate McKinnon, and I am super excited to learn that both Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver will make appearances. I guess it never phased me about an all-male team versus the all-female ghost fighters but that seems to be a big publicity item about this new version. I wonder how else the movie format will change. The original movie was filmed in areas of NYC while the new version, even though the plot is centered in Manhattan, actually features scenes from Boston.

There have been several other movie remakes. In some cases the new technology available has made scenes more fantastic and memorable; sometimes the actors cast in one of the versions is better than the other. Have you seen (original and remake): War of the Worlds; The Thing; The Manchurian Candidate; The Parent Trap; King Kong; The Fly; Hairspray; or True Grit? Were you disappointed in the remakes? Be honest, how many of these remakes made you rush right back to the original version?

Maybe it’s a good thing we really don’t get to do our lives over, we might not like the new version as much as the original. Unlike the movies we wouldn’t have Netflix to find the original preferred version again. How many things might be different in your life? How much of that might you miss the second time around?


Who ya' gonna call if you had to do your life over again?

No comments: