Saturday, March 10, 2018

Art Imitating Life? …or Vice-Versa?

Common Bond, Tangled Hearts

by Chelle Cordero


Layne Gillette’s world is turned upside down when a man she has never met shows up to lay claim as the father of her 6-year old son.
Justin, the victim of a fraternity prank, and Layne, the subject of a forced insemination, have produced a beautiful child that they are both willing to protect… at all costs.
The two parents realize they can love each other, but when Layne’s abusive “ex-husband” shows up, they are torn apart by danger, kidnapping and lies. Justin won’t give up until Layne is returned to him. Layne uses her newfound strength, courage and knowledge to defy Charlie’s ugliest demands.
~ ~ ~

Often I find that my writing touches on very hot topics for today’s world — honest, I’m not doing it on purpose, or maybe I am?


I like to write Contemporary Romantic Suspense, I guess I find it easier to relate to since it is here and now (although I often enjoy reading historical romances and other genres). But sometimes when I write these stories the topic, while still quite relevant, isn’t always as hot as it could be and then there are the times when I am shocked by how close my FICTIONAL story and real life collide.


[When I wrote my novel Hyphema, a thriller involving a Pakistani immigrant and prejudice, I wrote a scene where the immigrant was pretty much accused of hiding Bin Laden in Pakistan. During the week between the e-book release and the print release Bin Laden was actually found and killed in Pakistan! I was very surprised. That book was the most CURRENT EVENT I ever wrote, so far.]


There are book club discussion packets for almost all of my books, this is one of the “questions” from the Common Bond, Tangled Hearts discussion packet:

Each state has laws regarding the minimum age for a woman or man in order to marry by their own consent. Several states also have individual laws whereby a parent or legal guardian can consent for an underage minor to be permitted to marry. What is the minimum age to marry in your state? Do you think there are inherent problems when one or both members of a couple are very young? What do you think is a healthy age for marriage? If you are married, how old were you when you said “I do”?


I am sure that you’ve been following some of the arguments regarding “child brides”. Just this week there was an article about one state’s Senate bill moving through legislation while there were those trying to block it. Within the state, all over the media and across the Twitter-verse, there were heated words and lots of name calling. This is a situation in more than just this state – how old does a girl have to be before being married (often) to a much older man? Many of these children have been “given” in marriage with parental consent and sometimes by mothers who themselves were child brides.


Maybe the story in Common Bond, Tangled Hearts will get people thinking? I guess this is just one of the stories (unintentionally) ripped from the headlines, it sure does seem to be a story about the times we live in.


Buy Links

No comments: