Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Everyone should have a good person to love.



May 9, 2012
Thank you Mr. President!

(excerpt from Final Sin)

            "Tell me more about you.  I want to know you."  She spread her hand against his chest.  "Tell me what you were like as a child.  What's your family like?"
            He shrugged slightly.  "I was just an ordinary boy, nothing special."
            "I don't believe that.  There is certainly nothing ordinary about you now."
            "Nobody expected anything great out of me.  At least I didn't let them down."
            "I think you are underestimating yourself.  I think you are kind of great."
            He gave her shoulders a gentle squeeze.  "My parents weren't thrilled when I got together with Helen.  They thought I was, well, thinking with the wrong brain."  Jake sighed.  "I think they were surprised when I decided to work towards my degree anyway."
            Julie yawned.  "Oh, I'm sorry. That was rude."
            "You need your sleep."
            "No, I want to hear about you."  She was fighting to stay awake.  "How did they feel when you got divorced?  Did your folks like her?"
            "I don't really know how my dad felt, he never really said.  Maybe he was just too busy letting my mom do the talking… I embarrassed her, I was the first to get divorced in the family.  I don't think my mother liked her, she just felt that once I was married, I should have stayed that way."
            "Is your sister married?"
            "Well… that was another reason for my mom to complain.  My sister has a partner, a same sex partner."  His mother's lament was having a son who couldn't keep a wife and a daughter who didn't choose a man.  "My sister and her partner came out, they're lesbians."  Jake wondered if he was just trying to see how Julie would react to that.  She didn't flinch.
            She looked up at him in the darkened shadows.  "And your parents didn't approve?  How about you?"
            "I guess I was a little uncomfortable at first, I had never known anyone, really known that is, who was… homosexual."  He shifted a bit.  "But then I went out to visit them, they live in California, and they are really happy together.  Maggie makes my sister really happy and that's important to me."
            "That's good."  She sounded like she was beginning to drift off.  "Everyone should have a good person to love."
###
Final Sin    by Chelle Cordero
84500 words. Published by Vanilla Heart Publishing on June 13, 2009. Fiction. 

Deputy Sherriff Commander Jake Carson has his hands full... investigation of a brutal multiple homicide, a troubled son and a vindictive ex-wife. He meets young, free-spirited paramedic Julie Jennings. When Julie becomes the subject of an obsession, it puts both of them in danger...


No comments: