Saturday, January 9, 2016

Looking for a safe haven ~ Weekend Writing Warriors / #8sunday / 01/10/16

Hi! Welcome to another Weekend Writing Warrior and Snippet Sunday round. Every week writers post 8-to-10 sentences on their blogs from a published or unpublished book. Then we "hop" around and leave comments on each other's snippets. Whether our work is already published or in progress, the helpful comments help us become stronger writers on our next WIP. We welcome EVERYONE's comments.

See more at the
WeWriWa blog

& check out the
Facebook Snippet Sunday group


I'm sharing snippets from Stormy Weather, one of the short stories in The Many Faces of Chelle Cordero collection. 

Last week the handsome stranger introduced himself, his name is Bruce. He seems interested, she seems irritated. He's persistent, she tries to keep a distance. Debbie wants to discourage his company...

Creative editing alert!  Here are ten more lines... 


After only a brief hesitation, she gave him the name of her hotel on Collins in South Beach.
“Do they have anything going on in the lounge tonight?”
Debbie shook her head and wondered how she had let him get past her defenses, “Bruce, right?”
He nodded.
“Do these places really keep things as usual in a hurricane?”
“Well everyone down here is pretty used to it so long as they didn’t order any evacuations – and of course so long as it’s indoors – then yeah, it’s safer to keep all the guests on the lower floors.”
“So it would make sense if I stayed in the lounge?”
“Yeah., he smiled at her, “so it’s a date?”
She laughed at him, “don’t you have some place of your own to be?”
He stopped and looked at her emotionlessly, “I’m wounded, would you deny the safety of your hotel lounge to a man who saved your life by plucking you from that wave?”




~~~~~
For more WeWriWa Snippets, go to: 

www.wewriwa.com


The Many Faces of Chelle Cordero is a single author collection of short stories featuring Introduction, Pussycat Tails, Holiday Happiness, Not Alone, I Swear That Raccoon Just Knocked on the Door, Stormy Weather, A Mother’s Love, More Than a Friend, The Meeting, The Vacation and a special bonus section.

Stormy Weather
The ominous skies and howling winds of a hurricane lead to an unexpected and warmhearted friendship.


BUY LINKS
~~~~~

Most authors are part of a generous community, they support their fellow authors in many ways: constructive critique, re-tweets, emotional bolstering, encouragement, and providing a welcoming ear when necessary. Of course there are a FEW who are not so nice, but I won't get into that here.

As a full time freelance writer for a few decades, and a published author of fiction as well for the last decade, I have enjoyed this camaraderie. When I hear my friends and family who work in more traditional jobs talk about hanging out around the office water cooler, I often think about the co-workers I've become friends with over the years.

Whether we converse on FaceBook, on the phone, through emails or, sometimes even face-to-face, the friendships are real and very valuable. I belong to a publishing group of wonderfully compassionate people, a few who I have been fortunate to be in the company with, others I've chatted with by phone, and still others that share marketing ideas and experiences in some online form. And without a doubt we certainly provide the cheering section our frail egos thrive on.

As a freelance journalist I often deal with editors across the country and have established relationships with some that are longer than many married people I know. It's safe to say that one or two have also become good friends in real life.

I had a recent conversation with a relative about friendships and she did question whether real friends could be made of people you've never "really" met, I think YES you can. Writers can be solitary people and while this probably makes it easier to accept the various ways we interact, the internet and phones, and even visual applications, gives the term "Getting to know you" a much broader scope.

...or maybe it's just the inherent quality of the writing community to "reach out" to others ~ real or fictional, LOL.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This guy is smooth and persistent -- and she, despite her earlier resistance, is grudgingly willing to be convinced.

Teresa Cypher said...

He's really getting past her guard. He sure is charming. :-)

Unknown said...

He sure doesn't give up, does he? It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Stephanie said...

Sounds to me she has herself a date in a hurricane. Ready or not. :-)

PT said...

Sounds like she's thawing a bit.

The Belle in Blue said...

Hurricane party in the lounge! I foresee more thawing in her future. ;-)

~Joyce Scarbrough

Charmaine Gordon said...

Beware strangers who save you from a hurricane or did she swim faster.

Unknown said...

Maybe I'm a little cynical, but that much charm makes me think that the correct answer to his question is 'Yes. You said it wasn't a big deal, right? Bye!'

Unknown said...

Ooh, he lost me when he "emotionlessly" tried to guilt trip her. No sir! Get your own lounge! LOL

Elaine Cantrell said...

He's certainly persistent.

Iris B said...

He's such a dag. I like him.

Veronica Scott said...

He's moving so fast and seems quite determined all right. Interesting and the looming hurricane provides a thread of danger ahead. Great excerpt!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Smooth talker, isn't he. Enjoyed the snippet and want to know where this will lead.

Linda said...

Oh my god is he annoying. I thought he wasn't interested.

Kim M said...

I am dying to find out what happens on their 'date' - i suspect it may get eventful!

Your later comment about virtual friends touched a chord in me, I know just how you feel!

Kim M said...

I am dying to find out what happens on their 'date' - i suspect it may get eventful!

Your later comment about virtual friends touched a chord in me, I know just how you feel!

JTsuruoka said...

Hurricane, eh? That's almost as good as, "ran out of gas". Good interactions between the two characters.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, what? I did not see this coming. Yeah, he may have pulled her from the wave but she was so hostile to him, I didn't expect her to just turn around like that. Surprise, surprise. Interesting development.