Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I hadn't connected this before now...

THAT DAY

It was 1977, I was home on doctor’s orders and recovering from an asthma attack that had sent me to the ER a few nights earlier. After my husband went to work, I went back to bed, medication was knocking me out. My chest still ached.
I dreamt I was having terrible, terrible chest pains. And in my dream I was being wheeled into a hospital on a gurney. I remember the lights in the ceiling above and the hustle and bustle of everyone surrounding me. I didn’t feel it, but I could “sense” a doctor reaching down and putting his hands into my chest and on my heart.
The doctor kept saying, “It’s his heart, it’s his heart.”
I was confused, why was he saying HIS?
Somewhere in the background of this dream a bell was ringing. I soon realized it was my telephone. Forcing myself from this disturbing dream, I stared at the clock and was confused if it was night or day. The time read 10:18. I answered the phone with a groggy voice, it was my friend Leena.
Leena was calling to check up on me and ask if there was anything she could do. I told her about my dream and together we reasoned out that it was probably just a reaction to my own experience a few nights before even though it wasn’t the same hospital and it wasn’t the same doctor. We spoke for a few more minutes and then we hung up.
I drifted back to sleep. I was woken again a few hours later by another phone call. This time it was my sister and she was upset. She had just been notified that our dad passed away that morning, he had been at work when he suddenly collapsed. She was told it was his heart, it shook me to hear that phrase again.
I drove 40-miles to be with my mom, my sister drove 40-miles to identify my dad’s body and fill out official paperwork. Daddy worked nearly an hour away from home so it was much easier to split the responsibilities.
Dad was buried and we sat shiva (mourning period) at my mom’s. Everyone was in shock, my dad had seemed in perfect health. A few days later the official death certificate was mailed to my mother’s address. I opened it and blanched – the time of death was 10:18 AM.
Later that week my husband and I went to Daddy’s place of work to pick up his tools, he had been a tool-and-die-maker. We went to the hospital from there to pick up the remainder of his personal effects.
I recognized the hospital corridor as soon as I walked in. I saw one of the ER doctors and realized it was the man I saw putting his hands in my chest. Approaching him, I thanked him and told him about my dad – he did remember trying to revive a man with open heart massage the morning my dad passed away.
I know I was with my dad when he passed away, we always had that kind of connection. But even to this day I wonder if Leena hadn’t called and woken me, could I have helped keep my father alive a little longer? Or would I have died lying in my bed along with him on that hospital gurney?

 ~~~~~
I recently wrote the above TRUE story to enter a contest (no, I didn't win). It wasn't until I finished writing it that I realized how significant it was to the plot of my most recent novel, Karma Visited. Previously I admitted in a guest post (Lindsay's Romantics) that when I was much younger I had dreams where I woke convinced that I had actually traveled in my sleep, much like my character Annie.

I never had the depth of Annie's power to dream, waken to offer help, and go back to sleep again and dream/visit the place she was before. And my dreams never happened with the same frequency either. I guess in some ways I am lucky, in others I am downright envious. Annie's gift has so much potential.

My friend and fellow VHP author Charmaine Gordon has convinced me to continue Annie's story and it's something that has gotten me quite excited. I've already gotten some terrific ideas and some great twists. Tell me, what would YOU like to see in Annie's future?

Karma Visited

by Chelle Cordero
Do you believe in karma? Annie Furman has a gift that allows her, while she sleeps, to visit people in their time of need – but who will be there for her when she needs help? Undersheriff Dave Turner is investigating a series of home invasions and homicides. He has no idea that solving this case will lead him to the woman of his dreams. 
 Review
Karma Visited captured me from the beginning and never let go. This tale of good, evil, and a miraculous gift between has a cast of characters you’ll never forget. Well done, Chelle Cordero. ~ by Charmaine Gordon, Author of Survive and Thrive novels and Mature Romances
BUY LINKS
PRINT  
 AND IN ALL E-BOOK EDITIONS
Instant Download PDF   http://store.payloadz.com/go?id=1809348 

No comments: